What Is Love?

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Once upon a time, I had another blog. It was a teeny tiny blog, A Little Bit of Everything. On that blog, about a year or so ago, I posted my thoughts on what love is. This February, in the month of love, I thought it would be fun to repost one of my favorite posts from my old blog of long ago. Without further ado, may I present a (partially edited) piece on love. 

Everyone’s favorite talking snowman puts it right out there. Plain and simple. I don’t know if Olaf used a dictionary or anything, but he’s pretty much spot on when it comes to what love is. Maybe he should be classified as a love expert...

Love isn't a fuzzy, warm I'm-on-top-of-the-world feeling. Love isn't a fondness for others (or for my favorite red velvet cake). Love isn't smiles, romantic dinners, and red roses. Love isn't hugs and kisses or x's and o's.

Love is putting someone else's needs before yours. It’s saying, “You first, I’ll go last.” Love is a sacrifice.

Jesus Christ illustrates this the best of all.

God sent his one and only son into the world as a fragile baby to die. It most certainly wasn’t Jesus’s need to live a lowly human life and end it all by hanging on a cross… It was ours. He didn’t just tell us he loved us-he showed it with his actions.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

-Romans 5:8 NIV


Jesus's sacrifice shows, as the Jesus Storybook Bible puts it, a never stopping, never giving up, unbreaking, always and forever love. That's God's love for his children in a nutshell.

This February, during the month of love, remember that you are loved by the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. You are loved with a never stopping, never giving up, unbreaking, always and forever love.
What do you think love is? How does knowing that you are loved SO MUCH make you feel? How can you show love this month? Don't you LOVE Frozen (and isn't Olaf the best?)? =) How did you celebrate Valentine's Day? Let's chat!

17 comments:

  1. Ooh, I remember this post from A Little Bit Of Everything! It's epic, I love it so much. <3 I'm glad you decided to post it on here! :D
    Hope you had a great Valentine's day, friend! ;)

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, forgot that I meant to ask you a question - what do you use to make your pretty post headers? Mine need some work xD.

      ~ Savannah
      scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Aw, thanks, Savannah! =) I hope you had an amazing Valentine's Day too!

      I'm glad you like the post headers. =) I use Canva to make all the graphics for my blog-post headers, buttons, book covers, everything. It's super easy to use, and it's pretty much free, as long as you don't use any of the premium stuff. Here's the link: https://www.canva.com I hope this helps-let me know if you need anything else. =)

      Delete
  2. This is so. good., Micaiah. Love--real, Christ-like love--is one subject that's very important to me, and one that I think many people underestimate or misunderstand. You describe it so well!
    Aw, Olaf is my favorite Frozen character! So much awesome. <3
    And I love the Jesus Storybook Bible! So. good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Hanna. It's very important to me as well, and it's something I want to show in a world where love is a fleeting feeling.

      I love Olaf, but Elsa may be my favorite. =) Not just because I'm the oldest in my family, though... xD

      I love that storybook too! My sisters and I loved reading it with our parents when we were little, and we've already read some stories with Matthias.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. I love your attitude about this.
      Elsa's my second favorite, and I'm not the oldest, so. . . She felt so real and relate-able!

      Delete
  3. This was such an interesting post Micaiah! It really got me thinking as to what love is, and whether it differs from person to person to an abstract thing like my love for reading and writing <3

    - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea! I'm glad it got you thinking as to what love is. =)

      Delete
  4. Wow. This is such a beautiful post, Micaiah! I don't think I'll ever be able to fully comprehend how amazing and unending and beautiful God's love for us is (seriously. can you?) I can only try until He comes again :)

    (and yes, I love that talking snowman too XD)

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audrey! =) I don't think I'll be able to comprehend that either, but from what little I can understand and the overflow of it I see I stand in awe of. =)

      Who doesn't? xD

      Delete
  5. I love this post! This post got me thinking about what love really is not the love that Hollywood says is love! I love Olaf and Frozen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mylan! I'm glad it got you thinking about what love is. Yes, Olaf and Frozen are the best! =)

      Delete
  6. Love this post, Micaiah!! Love is very powerful!!

    -Lilly Shyree (alillyingodsgarden.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! God's love for us is incredible.. I remember when I first realized the biblical definition of love is sacrifice to the point of dying for someone. It's so powerful - and so the opposite of today's definition of love.

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog, Micaiah! I'm glad to have discovered yours, and am looking forward to reading more of your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is way more powerful than the feelings Hollywood portrays love as.

      You're most welcome! =) I can't wait to read more of your posts as well! =)

      Delete
  8. Yes, you are so right. I am still amazed that God loves me, even though I continue messing up. The fact that God loves each and every one of us despite our faults and imperfections is truly amazing. :)

    Thank you for sharing, Micaiah! It's always nice to have reminders like this.

    ReplyDelete

Yay, you've decided to leave a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from my readers and can't wait to see what you have to say. Be sure to check back for my response, as I do my best to respond to all of your notes! =)

CopyRight © Micaiah Saldaña | Header and Brand Designed By Eric Barr | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan