Beautiful Books 2017 - Introduce Your Novel

Friday, October 20, 2017

So... I might be doing Naowrimo this year. *insert never-ending screaming here* I'm still deciding, but I'm pretty sure I'll be signing myself up for writing craziness in 2.5 seconds.... I'll keep y'all updated. xD In the meantime, here's a lovely Beautiful Books link-up  about my newest story idea, Second Star To The Right (temporary title). Ready? =)
UPDATE: I've decided not to do Nano because my November is going to be quite busy, with a family reunion, school, Christmas prep, etc. One year, one year..... 
What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
It all started when my family was sitting around the fire drinking cocoa and munching s'mores a couple days ago. Music was playing softly in the background, and then all the sudden I hear this song... 
Neverland is home to lost boys like me
And lost boys like me are free.
-"Lost Boy"sung by Ruth B.
And then a Peter Pan story idea smacks me in the face like BAM!!! And thus this story was inspired.
Describe what your novel is about!
WELLLLLLL...... I don't exactly have the whole plot together but here's a makeshift blurb:
Jane has spent her whole life as "the girl in the window." Watching the world go by in London in the wake of World War II and the disappearance of her older brother, James, she is scarcely brave enough to go out her front door. Then she meets Peter, the boy across the street. 
He's cocky. Outgoing. Brave. Loud. Everything she's not. Their differences become even more stark when she realizes that he really lives in the world of her wildest dreams. And he flies. Oh, and then there's a fairy named Tinkerbell and his arch nemesis, a pirate of all people...  
When he asks her to come to Neverland with him to care for his band of Lost Boys, she agrees, but on one condition: he in turn must help her locate her missing brother. A deal is made, and then Jane must do the bravest thing she's ever done. Step outside her window and fly to a land of mystery and certain adventure, where nothing is as it seems... 
What is your book’s aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like!
Here's the link to an aesthetic that totally describes my story. 
Girl in a window//Panpipes//Pixie dust//Thimbles//Lost Boys//A house underground//London
Wings//Mermaids//Tiger Lily//Stars//Mothers//Arrows//Acorn Button//Sparrow
Introduce us to each of your characters!
I shall be copying my friend Savannah in describing each of my main characters with a gif..... =)

My MC, Jane (temporary name), is sweet, kind, and full of wonder, despite all of that's happened to her, but she's very wary of others and a bit scared of the real world. 

Peter Pan, in my novel, is cocky and brave on the outside, but on the inside, he's slightly insecure and has a pretty big heart. He kinda reminds me of the new Spider-Man.  
How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc.?)
Once I get a story idea I like to stock up on inspiration. For me, this usually includes making a playlist to listen to while I write and saving some aesthetics to a makeshift story board. For this Peter Pan story, I'm reading J.M. Barrie's Peter and Wendy. I'm also going to be researching post-WWII in London, England, which is where my MC lives at the beginning of the story.
Meanwhile, I'm juggling making a list of major plot points in the novel, as well as little nuances that I can carry into my character's personalities, dialogue, etc. This is also the point where I like to start making a rough outline.
Then I stock up on cocoa, sugar, and adorable notebooks. You know, to prepare for the draft to come. And there's also just a little bit of screaming involved....
What are you most looking forward to about this novel?
Playing around with a classic story and making it my own-and need I mention that I'm in love with my characters whom I still haven't come up with permanent names yet
List 3 things about your novel’s setting.
magical and a bit ridiculous//no one grows up//second star to the right and straight on till morning
What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way?
Jane's goal is to find a place where she belongs. She's always been the girl watching the world from her window, making no difference, living but not really living. And when she gets the chance to go to Neverland and be a sort of "mother" for Peter's band of Lost Boys, she jumps at the chance to do so, and also maybe find her missing brother, James.  
How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
*SPOILERS* Also still figuring that part out.
What are your book’s themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over?
My story is going to be about growing up and saying goodbye, finding where you belong, and getting enough courage to step out into the real world, because sometimes, the most dangerous thing you'll ever have to do is step outside your front door. Or your bedroom window, like in Jane's case....
I want my readers to feel like they stepped out of Neverland and to be a little braver because of it when they finish reading my story.


What is your favorite version of Peter Pan? Who's your favorite character? Are you doing Nanowrimo? Come join me in the comments and let's chat about faith, trust, and pixie dust! =D 

16 comments:

  1. AHHH, I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS!!! First, I love the Lost Boy song. Second, I played Wendy last spring in a theatre production, so it holds a special place in my heart. Third, is Jane's lost brother James, Captain Hook? You know, James Hook? How are you liking Peter Pan and Wendy? I've probably read it ten times XP

    ~ Ella Marie

    P.S. This is Pip, from Pip and Lolly. I just switched blogs and would love it if you'd check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Ella! =D I'm glad you're excited like me! You played Wendy? SO COOL!!!!! Yes, James is Captain Hook, and I think it will be a nice addition of tension to the plot. =) Oh the things that excite writers! Peter and Wendy is pretty good-but the Peter Pan of the novel is so much more evil than the one in the play!

      Delete
    2. YES I DID, IT WAS THE BEST THING EVER. Yes it will! Haha, right? I know! Like the fact he kills the lost boys when they start to grow up.

      Delete
  2. OHHH MY WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I looovvee this!!!!!!!!! GIRL, GO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm already in love with your characters too :-) When you finish it, I definitely want to read it!!!!!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ellen! =D I can't wait for you to get the chance to read it!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! I can't wait to see more of this story Micaiah!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your story sounds really good and interesting! I want to know more! :D

    Also, signing up for/deciding to NaNo like two weeks before it starts = literally me last year. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Karyssa! =D

      Haha, I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I love the concept of this story, Micaiah! Good luck with NaNo, I can't wait to see how this story goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so this story sounds like it's going to be AMAZING. I love love love the concept of doing a Peter Pan retelling (I've kinda always wanted to, but INSPIRATION WON'T COME xD), so it's EPIC that you're writing one! BEST OF LUCK with NaNoWriMo, my friend! (if you chose to do it, anyways ;D)

    ~ Savannah | Scattered Scribblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH YOUR WORDS MEAN SO MUCH TO ME!!! =D =D Haha, still deciding.... For now.xD

      Delete
  7. Your story sounds amazing, Micaiah! I love the idea of a Peter Pan retelling!

    Good luck with NaNoWriMo! I wish I could do it this year, but life is just too busy... Next year though :)

    -Madeline
    towerofjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Madeline!

      I hope you'll get the chance to do it next year! I've only ever done Camp Nano, but it's really fun!

      Delete
  8. That moment my brain put together who Missing Brother James is = full-body chills! This retelling could be /awesome/.

    I drafted a Peter Pan story, once upon a Camp NaNo -- mostly starring my reimagined Tinker Bell and her fairy folk, but of course also centering the human boy who doesn't want to grow up. I don't know whether I'll ever complete the projected 5-book story arc, but Book 1 sure was a magical little trip. Maybe I'll get around to revisiting it, someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! =D

      That's so neat! I hope you do revisit it-Neverland is such a magical place that needs more stories told about it! =D

      Delete

Yay, you've decided to leave a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from my readers and can't wait to see what you have to say. Be sure to check back for my response, as I do my best to respond to all of your notes! =)

CopyRight © Micaiah Saldaña | Header and Brand Designed By Eric Barr | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan