The Writing Tag

Saturday, July 29, 2017

I'm finally getting to this long overdue writing tag! Many thanks to Jem Jones and Lilly for tagging me! Alright, let's get started with the questions....
What Genres, Styles, and Topics Do You Write About?
I write under the YA Christian fiction umbrella, and so far, beneath that, I’ve explored contemporary, mystery, fantasy, and historical. Historical and contemporary have been the ones I’ve “clicked” with the most—in fact; I’m currently working on a contemporary project and a historical project.
I’m a little confused about the styles part of the question, but topics I write about… I like to write about topics that are near and dear to my heart such as my faith, Uganda, etc.

How Long Have You Been Writing?
I’ve been writing seriously for about two years now, but when I was little I would draw a bunch of pictures and have my mother staple them together as books. I would then narrate the wording for each page to my mother and she’d dutifully write my words down. I don’t have any of these books, but I do have my very first book I ever “wrote.” It’s all about Dora and her friends with my scribbled drawings and stickers dotting the pages—not a bad start for a promising career. xD

Why Do You Write?
Here are five reasons I write: 
1. I believe that God gave me this gift of writing, and I want to use it to glorify him to the best of my ability.
2. Writing is like a “therapy session” for me when I’m feeling down, confused, etc.
3. Writing is a way I can be Jesus’ hands and feet.
4. Writing is a way I can run wild, make worlds, and learn.
5. Writing is my passion.

When is the Best Time to Write?
The best time to write is when you have any time to squeeze in writing at all! I try to write or work on a project for at least half an hour every day, and that half hour usually comes in the afternoon or before I go to bed… It really depends on what my family is doing, how many chores I have, etc.
What Parts of Writing Do You Love? What Parts Do You Hate?
I love being able to create worlds and have fun with my imagination. I love being able to touch people with my words. I love sitting in front of a first draft with a goofy smile on my face. I love reading my favorite quotes of my own work and dreaming of a hopeful someday when I can hold a print copy of my novel in my hands.

I hate losing steam in the middle of a project. I hate getting writer’s block. I hate being told that I’ll never make it. I hate that others don’t always understand why I love this and why I’m spending so much time doing this. I hate when my plot isn’t working and I’ve filled out a dozen plot outlines. But despite this, I’d never trade my love of writing for anything else.


How Do You Overcome a Writer's Block?
One way I overcome writer’s block is by skipping the scene I’m having a hard time with and marking it with a placeholder so I can come back later. Then, I continue writing until I’m ready for that particular scene. Another thing I do is re-motivate myself by creating playlists for my projects, collages, back cover blurbs…. Creative procrastination helps, just sayin’. xD

Are You Working on Something at the Moment?
Yes, I’m working on quite a few somethings. I’m still brainstorming a novella for the Rooglewood contest and am reconsidering if the contest is something I will be able to have time for this year. I’m brainstorming also with a plot bunny that won’t leave me alone (lots of brainstorming, y’all.). And then I’m also taking a look at Hiraeth and trying to decide what needs to be done with it (no, it’s not finished.).  Lots of charts and scribbles going on. =)

What Are Your Writing Goals This Year?
My number one goal is to finish at least one of the projects I’ve mentioned above. I hope to have a first draft of either Hiraeth or the contemporary story idea done by the fall and to then edit it throughout the winter and releasing it to beta readers.
My second goal is to submit more of my writing to other publications and hopefully get published by them.
I’m not much of a schedule/goal/deadline person, if you can tell. xD

I Tag...

YOU! That is, if you haven't joined in the fun of this tag yet. =)


What are you working on right now? Do you have any writing goals? What is your favorite way to creatively procrastinate? What’s your favorite genre to write in? Read in? Let’s talk!

14 comments:

  1. This was fun to read! It's always nice to get a look at different writers lives. Some of this was really inspirational to me, especially why you write <3 :) Great post Micaiah!

    Anna | www.worldthroughherheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was SO great !!
    Absolutely loved it.
    Getting to know other writers and what they have to say about writing is always so amazing <3
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arya Lynn! I love getting to know about other writers as well. =)

      Delete
  3. Gah...feel you on the losing steam and multiple outlines. I'm facing similar stuff with a WIP I'm writing right now, and it's driving me crazy.

    Good luck with your WIPs! Look forward to seeing them in print some day :)

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It definitely does drive a person insane.... *hangs head in frustration with you* And thank you, Catherine! =) I'm hoping they will one day be in print, we shall see....

      Delete
  4. I love the reasons why you write; so beautiful! <3 I had lots of fun reading through your answers. :) Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I'm late, but I loved reading your answers!

    Creative procrastination definitely helps. Pinterest counts. As does listening to music while staring at the wall and spinning on a swivel chair. Yep.

    I hope finishing your first draft goes well! I'm currently working on a first draft which I've taken through two Camp NaNo events; I'm hoping it will be my first finished draft. And I can't do goals either (which is why I do NaNo... it forces me to step up ;)
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm late for answering!

      Yes! Spinning on swivel chairs and staring at walls helps a lot.

      Thank you! Good luck on your Camp Nano draft! Haha, Nano really does help. =)

      Delete
  6. I used to staple pictures together too! And I wrote a couple stories by dictating them to a family member. I also still have the first story I wrote, and it's rather. . . embarrassing. I like to think I've improved a bit since then. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Picture books forever! =) Haha, I still have mine too, in my memory box. There's not even a main character or plot in it. I think we have both improved quite a bit. xD

      Delete

Yay, you've decided to leave a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from my readers and can't wait to see what you have to say. Be sure to check back for my response, as I do my best to respond to all of your notes! =)

CopyRight © Micaiah Saldaña | Header and Brand Designed By Eric Barr | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan