Books and Boxers

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Wow, it has been FOREVER since I've posted. Where have I been? Well.... I'll fill you in next week, during my monthly highlights post, but before I fill you in on my favorite reads starring dogs, I will tell you that my family has a new puppy. *screams and throws confetti* 
His name is Bryzzo (Go Cubs), and I am OBSESSED with his tiny little paws and his absolutely adorable face.  *hugs Bryzzo* Look at him. Tell me that you're not already in love with this little guy. I mean sure, he tried to eat my purse and has a thing against my little brother's remote controlled cars, but he is just so sweet and cuddly and PERFECT. *sighs*
You all may remember Wrigley, my family's ten year old boxer, from some of my past blog posts. Sadly, he recently passed away. =( We all miss him SO much around here. Life isn't the same without him waking us up or chasing his favorite red ball, but Bryzzo has been keeping us on our toes!
Now that you've been filled in on the four-legged friends of Notebooks and Novels, let's get to the bookish part of this post, shall we? =) 
And Now, For The Books...
The Shiloh Series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
The Shiloh series has had a special spot on my bookshelf ever since my Mom read all three books to my sisters and me when we were little. To this day, I still love the books, and I still hold Shiloh to be one of the best dogs ever in the world of fictional pooches. I mean, c'mon, look at his cute little beagle FACE. Even Dara Lynn couldn't turn her nose up at that! 
Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes
Ginger Pye is another book my Mom read to my sisters and me. Can you tell that she's one of the reasons I love to read so much? =) But anyways, who doesn't want a dog that tracks you down with one of your PENCILS? I need a dog like that to help me remember where I put all of my pencils, which I seem to constantly lose.... *hides face* 
Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
Because of Winn-Dixie is most definitely my favorite book out of all these that I've listed so far. Ever since I read it, I was in love with Opal and her dog Winn-Dixie who followed her everywhere in her small Southern town as they ate Littimus lozenges. I personally wish that my librarian let Bryzzo in, but he would most likely eat all of the books.... Trust me, I know from experience. *puts books on a high shelf away from dog* 
A Dog's Life by Ann M. Martin
This is, in my opinion, the saddest book out of my lineup, but don't let that scare you! There is (thankfully) a happy ending, so I was able to read it. Yes, I'm that kid who boycotted Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows because of the endings. Thanks, Mom, for warning me and therefore saving me from wasting boxes of Kleenexes. A Dog's Life is such a fun read because it's told from a dog's viewpoint-like A Dog's Purpose, which I have yet to read. BUT I SAW THE MOVIE. And, er, cried through it too. 


 What are some of YOUR favorite books with dogs in them? Tell me, so Bryzzo and I can get reading! Have you read any of the books I've included in my line-up? If so, be sure to enter the poll I've added on my sidebar and vote for your favorite! Do you have a dog? If so, what breed is it? Grab your favorite pooch and let's swap puppy stories in the comments and chat!

12 comments:

  1. LOOK AT THAT FACE. He is too cute! Ginger Pye was one of my favorite books when I was little. I need to read it again.

    Hailey
    www.haileyhudson.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT I CANNOT GET OVER IT. Oh, it is SO good, it reminds of being little and having Mom read to me. =)

      Delete
  2. Bryzzo is soooooo cute!!! Nawwww! Give him a big hug for me. <3 I really enjoyed Because of Winn-Dixie too; it's such a lovely book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! =) It is such a great book-have you seen the movie? I wasn't as big of a fan of it, as always.

      Delete
  3. OMW he is soooooooo cute, I just want to cuddle with that cutie and play with him. I have a humongous dog and those puppy eyes never left him either...irresistible xD

    So many of those mentioned books bring back the feels :))) Especially shiloh and Because of Winn Dixie...Have you read 'Call of the Wild' , and 'Where the Red Fern Grows' (and also 'Summer of the Monkeys' HILARIOUS BOOK)? those are also some awesome dog books...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, he is just.... The cutest thing ever. Period. =) Aw, what breed is he? The puppy eyes never leave them, it's adorable!

      I do believe I've read Call of the Wild, but not Where the Red Fern Grows... Too sad for me. =(

      Delete
  4. AWWWW I love puppies....

    I haven't heard of any of these books..weird. I'll have to look them up!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! =)

      Oh, you definitely should, especially Because of Winn-Dixie!

      Delete
  5. When I turned 12 or something, a friend gave me "The Summer of Riley". That was one of the most miserable books of my childhood. (Dog chases horse; people start a petition to have the dog put down.) It's a different style to Shiloh, though - of which I think I've read Saving Shiloh and Shiloh Season?

    Slight side thought: why are dog books typically sad??

    Your new dog is SO CUTE <3 Boxers are so snuffly and lovable!
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read The Summer of Riley... But if it's sad, I don't think I could handle reading it. Oh, I hope you have read the Shiloh books-they're such great reads!

      I don't know, that's a good question. Hhhmmm...

      Thank you so much! Boxers are-I've grown up having boxers my entire life, so I'm biased. =)

      Delete

Yay, you've decided to leave a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from my readers and can't wait to see what you have to say. Be sure to check back for my response, as I do my best to respond to all of your notes! =)

CopyRight © Micaiah Saldaña | Header and Brand Designed By Eric Barr | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan