January Cocoa Break

Friday, February 2, 2018

Yes, I know, January was a couple days ago. But bear with me, y'all!
It’s time for my very first monthly highlights post of 2018! And guess what? Instead of my “just happened” posts, I’m now hosting a monthly cocoa break (what's that, you say? Well, read on!). If you’ve been around here for a while, you know that I LOVE cocoa. Especially with salt. And caramel. Whipped cream is good too, by the way.

What I love about a mug of cocoa, besides how it tastes and how the warmth seeps out of the mug, is that it draws people together. Ever since I was little, I’ve been coming together with people over warm mugs of cocoa, talking, fellowshipping, and just sharing in life. There’s something magical about a group of people and a bunch of mugs full of something sweet, isn’t there?

To tell y’all the truth, I wish that we could all get together with some salted caramel hot chocolate (mochas work too, I guess) and just chat about this wonderful life God has given us—the good, the bad, the messy, and everything in between. So from now on, each month, my monthly highlights post is going to be called a cocoa break. It’ll simply be a time where you can read a little bit about me, my writing, and the novels I’ve read, plus tell me all about YOU in the comments. Cocoa is completely allowed, by the way. =) I know I’ll have a mug or two!

Enough of my ramblings, let’s grab some cocoa!
Life 
First of all, my two little sisters each became a year older! *insert confetti and cupcakes here* Maya turned eleven and Maddy turned nine. We celebrated with lots of cake and ice cream (and as you all know, I was super into that). I’m so proud of the young ladies they’re growing into, and I love seeing them fall in love with Jesus every day. Happy (late) birthday, Maya and Maddy! =D
                                         
Excuse the photography, please, I just wanted to eat it. =)
I found this recipe for vanilla cupcakes for two, and now it is way too easy for me to eat cupcakes. xD I added some chocolate frosting and sprinkles, because if you’re going to eat a cupcake, you’re going to eat it right. But don't think that I just eat cake (if only...)! This year I've been exercising and eating more healthily. Then I eat cake. xD Oh, and it’s 2018. I actually remember that it’s a new year this time around! Well, most of the time, that is.

I also had my blogoversary, which was so much fun. Thanks again, everyone, for helping me celebrate one year of Notebooks and Novels! =) You all are so sweet and just THE BEST!
Of Notebooks…
I entered the One Teen Story short story contest! Ignoring the fact that I was super last minute/stayed up past midnight two nights in a row to get my story done/went through about for different story ideas/sent the final one the day it due, it was fun getting to know my short story characters and play with different plots. And I’m so glad that I finally entered! The results don’t come in for a while, so until then, I’ll be working on my "novel project."
They have such pretty mock covers...
Remember Second Star to the Right? The story I did a whole post on and was so excited about? How about Hiraeth, the story I worked on for Camp Nano way back when? Confession time: I haven’t worked on them in forever, and I haven’t had the motivation to do so. Right now, I’m focusing on finding the story of my heart, a story that I would want to read, a story that is near and dear to me that I can see to completion. I’m not totally abandoning these other stories. I’m setting them aside and working to find the story. The story that a whole lot of work and editing will go into, the story that my heart and my Lord wants me to write, the story that I would like to have published one day… THE STORY.

So right now… I’m brainstorming. I’m praying. I’m exploring. And I’m searching for the story.
Of Novels…
And… This is all I read in January. One. Book. *crawls under a rock and sobs* BUT IT WAS SUCH A GOOD BOOK. And now, here I sit, waiting for the sequel, drooling over its cover, because I am the unlucky human being who is still on the waiting list for it at the library. Don’t worry, there will be a book review for Unblemished coming your way soon! And for the record… TEAM KYAPHUS RHYEN ALL THE WAY.


What do you think of the new monthly highlights post name? What would YOU like to see more of in these posts? Less of? What do you like the most about these type of posts? Tell me EVERYTHING, so I know how to grow/change. How was your January? DID YOU EAT CAKE? Have you read Unblemished? If so, Team Joshua or Team Ky? Where are you in your writing journey right now? Let's grab some cocoa and chat, everyone!

18 comments:

  1. Looooove the "cocoa" idea! It's so cute! Happy birthday to your little sisters, and I hope that your search for THE STORY goes well. I know we'd love to hear about it when you find it!

    My January was wonderful; lots of relaxing things happened during it, which was my goal ;), but also some good project/goal fulfillments happened too, so I am happy :)!

    -Bri from forget-not-his-benefits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Bri! =) You're too sweet!

      I'm glad that you had a wonderful January! =) Sounds like a great start to a new year!

      Delete
  2. I love this new format!

    Happy birthday to your sisters!

    I've also been revisiting old WIPs - my short story ones, to be exact. But lately, I've been writing The White Rose, which is a new story that I'm super excited about.

    Awesome post, Micaiah!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine! =)

      That sounds like lots of fun! Oooohhh, just hearing the title makes me want to read it! If you ever need beta readers... *raises hand*

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new post format, Micaiah, and thank you for sharing! :) I hope you find The Story!! I feel like I'm in a similar place.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Jeanette! =) I hope that you find your story as well!

      Delete
  5. Hi!I don't know if I've commented yet, but I LOVE your blog and have been reading it for about a month! Just wanted to say hi :) I really like the idea of "cocoa break", cocoa really does bring people together, doesn't it?! Also your novels look really interesting and your graphics are gorgeous!!I can't wait to read more!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Lydia! Oh my gosh, you are too sweet! =) I've actually followed your blog but not commented yet (your blog is gorgeous, btw). Cocoa does seem to bring people together, and that is one of the reasons I love it. =) Again, thank you!

      Delete
  6. Hi, Micaiah! I love the new title of the monthly highlights post. Maya and Maddie are old, aren't they? I hope you find THE story.

    My January was GREAT! I did get to go to the Women's March, which was so fun. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an excuse to eat cake, but I did eat a cupcake. (It was stale. 😭) I have not been writing anything other than school reports.
    Mylan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Mylan! Thank you, I'm glad that you like it. =D They ARE. It's so sad. =( STAY LITTLE.

      I'm glad that you got to participate in a march for what you believe in! Aw, no cake?! At least it was a cupcake... But then again, if it was stale, it might not have been so good. Are they reports on topics you like at least?

      Miss you, cousin!

      Delete
  7. Great post, Micaiah! I'm actually currently reading Unbemished... I can't wait to see your review and hear more of your thoughts about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! =) How are you liking it so far?

      Delete
    2. I really like it! Some parts of it I find a little hard to follow... but maybe that's just me :)

      Delete
  8. Hey Micaiah! I actually finished my first short story (that came from my head and not from a prompt) this month, and that was a lot of fun + big sense of accomplishment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's awesome! *throws confetti* Congratulations! What is it about, may I ask? =)

      Delete
  9. What you sent in...is it the story that I think it is?! Actually, correction, that I dream it is?! I sure hope so! The story with: Emma, will, Corey, Lilly, Ben, Joel? Or have I gone too far out, it’s fine if I have. You’ll do what you want with it, when you will to.

    Love the blog posts, Amy Grossruck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! No, it's not that story, it's a totally new one. Don't worry, Rory is still in it though!

      Thank you, glad you like them. =)

      Delete

Yay, you've decided to leave a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from my readers and can't wait to see what you have to say. Be sure to check back for my response, as I do my best to respond to all of your notes! =)

CopyRight © Micaiah Saldaña | Header and Brand Designed By Eric Barr | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan