DARKNESS

Friday, May 18, 2018

I’m finished with my hiatus sooner than I thought I would be, so I’ll be posting regularly again. 
When I was little, I was afraid of the dark. I wouldn’t admit it though. I was afraid of being alone at night, of crawling out from under my cozy covers to the cold, scary world that laid beyond my bed. Darkness held a world of too many bad possibilities, in my mind.

I’m sixteen years old, and I’m afraid of the dark. But the darkness I’m afraid of isn’t a lack of light at nighttime. No, I’m afraid of the darkness that seems to envelope our world. All I have to do is check the News app on my phone to terrify myself. All I have to do is remember our persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ to make my blood run cold. All I have to do is think about school shootings, unloved people, unborn babies being murdered by the thousands, soldiers dying for our freedom, orphans all alone, kids in child prisons, peoples’ freedom being taken away….

My list could go on. I could talk about murder. I could talk about unheard cries and unseen tears. I could talk about pain and suffering and injustice and unfairness and darkness for far, far too long. And that hurts to have to write that. I hate that I can say that everywhere I look, there is darkness.

Darkness is everywhere. It runs rampant, like a plague. A disease that we human beings cannot cure. It affects everyone and everything on this earth. Darkness pulls us all down, down, down, like the London Bridge in that old nursery rhyme. We all fall down…

Our world is dark. Our world is fallen. Our world is sick and twisted. And there is nothing we can do about it.

But there is Someone who can.

He goes by many names, many titles. Prince of Peace. Christ. Lord. Healer. King of Kings. Rescuer. Savior. Messiah. Yeshua. Jesus.

Today, I clicked on the News app on my phone and saw the headline. A school shooting had occurred here in Texas. Ten dead. Ten hurt. Too many to suffer. To much pain. Too much broken. My heart is hurting right now as I think of the horrific events that I swipe through on my phone. And yet one verse rings through my mind over and over again.

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world, you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.

-John 16:33 ESV

“Take heart… Be brave. Be strong. Chin up. Courage, dear hearts.”

“I have overcome the world… I won. I saved. I defeated. I rescued. I healed. I’m here.”

We can’t fix our world, but He can. We can’t save ourselves, but He can save us. We can’t… But He most certainly can.

On this broken, dark, fallen ball of dirt, we will have troubles. Trials. Tribulations. Pain. Suffering. Hurt. Tears.

But take heart, my friends.

For when the night passes… Morning comes.

When darkness falls… Light shines.

And our Lord and Savior has overcome the world.


-Micaiah

19 comments:

  1. This was really good!!! I was just writing something in my book similar to this today...
    astoryspinner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. *applause, applause* Epic post, my friend <3

    ~ Savannah
    Inspiring Writes

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really moving post, Micaiah! You made me stop and think - and shiver because you painted the darkness of our world so well. I hadn't known about the school shooting until you mentioned it, since I was away from media for the entire day. First I was afraid that it was near me, and then I realized how horrible of a first thought that is. Here's another unspeakable that's starting to become normal.

    And welcome back! I hope that your hiatus was good and was at least slighty relaxing - and that your move went well. It's great to have you back again!

    ~True // atruewriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much for this, True. To hear, that my writing can invoke such emotion, means a lot. It is absolutely horrifying that school shootings are starting to become a normal thing on the news, I agree.

      Aw, thank you! =) I did have a nice hiatus, although I did miss the blogosphere. My move went well, and Texas is quite nice. =)

      Delete
  4. This is a truly beautiful post. Definitely inspirational and helpful. I remember all the school shooting threats and how afraid every student was going to school. God was the one who got me through it. He was there for me and I felt safer going to school.
    -Mylan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, cousin! =) I remember when you told me about that. I was scared for you. I'm so glad that God got you through it! I will continue praying for safety at schools, and I hope that you will join me.

      Delete
  5. Super inspiring! Something which I totally needed right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad that you were able to read my musings. <3

      Delete
  6. So beautiful. Like you say, the darkness is so prevalent that it's super easy to look perspective. But when we look at Jesus, things shrink down to size very quickly. Thank you!

    P.S. lovely to have you back! Hope you're safe and well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanette! And amen! When we see Jesus, all of the hate and hurt and darkness does shrink, and it pales in comparison to his light and love and goodness.

      It's good to be back, and thank you! =)

      Delete
  7. Welcome back! This was a really good post! So true!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Brooklyne! It's a pleasure to be back in the blogosphere. =)

      Delete

Yay, you've decided to leave a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from my readers and can't wait to see what you have to say. Be sure to check back for my response, as I do my best to respond to all of your notes! =)

CopyRight © Micaiah Saldaña | Header and Brand Designed By Eric Barr | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan