Guest Post By Tessa Emily Hall: Can Our "Imperfections" Further Our God-Given Calling?

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

I'm super excited to be hosting Tessa Emily Hall of Christ Is Write here on Notebooks and Novels today! Her next first devotional for teens, Coffee Shop Devos, releases next month, and I cannot WAIT to get my hands on a copy! =D 

About Coffee Shop Devos

There's something special about spending time at a coffee shop with a friend--engaging in a meaningful conversation, then leaving refueled and ready to tackle the rest of the day. What if your quiet times with God energized you the same way?

Coffee Shop Devos offers a warm atmosphere that will inspire you to discover your God-given purpose and live to your greatest potential. Choose your devo flavor in the Menu of Contents based on your current need. Then lean into deeper intimacy with Christ through reflection and prayer. Along the way, you'll pick up tips and recipes for making your own coffee-shop beverage--regular or decaf--to enjoy while you read. And don't forget to share your journey with your friends! #CoffeeShopDevos

Each of the 180 challenging and motivational devotions will leave you feeling refreshed and reinvigorated--almost as though you've shared a steaming pot of brew at a coffee shop with your Creator.


Click here to pre-order Coffee Shop Devos on Amazon.
Click here to mark Coffee Shop Devos as "to read" on Goodreads.

Doesn't it look fantastic? I'm excited to get to read it! =D But for now, I'm happy to get to read this lovely guest post that Tessa wrote. It's not only encouraging, but it is also a challenge for us to discover who God made us to be and what He put us on this earth to do. I'm excited to get to share this with you all! =) Happy reading! 


Have you ever felt different from others your age? Maybe you’re not into the same hobbies your friends are into. Perhaps you’re not as social, don’t have as many followers on social media, or don’t care about shopping.

This is how I felt in middle and high school. Like I stood out. Like I was the only introverted girl my age—the only one who preferred to stay at home on the weekends and write rather than hang out with friends.

I felt like something was wrong with me. Why couldn’t I fit in?

The thing is--I didn’t want to fit in. I didn’t want to become someone that I wasn’t just so I could receive acceptance. Yet even this made me feel as though I needed to be “fixed”.

It wasn’t until I grew closer in my relationship with Christ that my desire to receive approval from man began to fade. It wasn’t until then that the truth laid out in Psalms 139:13-16--which says that every detail of myself was selected with a purpose--that I began to accept who I am. And during this time, I had a realization:

My “imperfections”--what I once thought were flaws--are actually the very traits God will use to further my calling. 

You see, the enemy doesn’t want me to love who I am. Instead, he wants me to resent the very aspects about myself that God views as beautiful. Why? Because he wants me to refrain from embracing my potential and pursuing my calling. A calling that could result in the furthering of God’s Kingdom. 


But now that I’ve learned this tactic, I can allow God to transform these “flaws” into strengths. Just as He originally intended. No, not even so I can gain human acceptance--but so I can play my role in building the Body of Christ. So I can tap into my fullest potential and pursue my calling.

Does this mean perhaps God created each of us in a way that could aid us in pursuing our unique path? Does this mean He gave us our personality, strengths, gifts, desires—and, yes, quirks—for a reason?

I believe so. I believe He purposely crafted each us differently so we could contribute to the work of His Body (The Church) in various ways. He wants to send His message throughout the ends of the earth, and we are His hands and His feet (1 Corin. 12:12). The way He formed us is directly correlated with how He wants us to further His ministry on earth.

What I once viewed as a weakness — being introverted — was actually a God-given strength to help me fulfill my calling: writing. If I wasn’t an introvert then I wouldn’t have the ability to stay quiet and observe in a social setting. I would also probably go crazy if I had to stay at home and write for hours on end!

What is it God has called you to pursue? You might not know the entire picture, but perhaps you have an understanding how you’re different. You’re familiar with your personality type. You understand your various strengths and interests. What if these unique facets that make up you are arrows pointing you toward your unique calling—or at least hints that could give you a glimpse into what He might want you to accomplish on this earth?

My challenge to youSpend time with God today. Ask Him to help you accept every part of who you are--yes, even the “flaws”. Then, see if He reveals ways you can begin to tap into your potential and pursue your unique path.


About Tessa


Tessa Emily Hall is an award-winning author who writes inspirational yet authentic books to show teens they’re not alone. Her first teen devotional, COFFEE SHOP DEVOS, will release with Bethany House September 2018. Tessa's passion for shedding light on clean entertainment and media for teens led her to a career as an Associate Agent for Cyle Young at Hartline Literary Agency, YA Acquisitions Editor for Illuminate YA (LPC Imprint), and Founder/Editor of PURSUE Magazine. She's guilty of making way too many lattes and never finishing her to-read list. When her fingers aren’t flying 116 WPM across the keyboard, she can be found speaking to teens, decorating art journals, and acting in Christian films. Her favorite way to procrastinate is by connecting with readers on her blog, mailing list, social media (@tessaemilyhall), and website: www.tessaemilyhall.com.

Visit Tessa on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook and subscribe to her mailing list


What is one of your "imperfections" that could be pointing to your God-given calling? What's your favorite coffee shop drink? 

9 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks so much for featuring me on your amazing blog, Micaiah! I can't wait to hear what you think about the book! <3 =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Tessa! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful guest post. =) I'm excited to get to read it! <3

      Delete
  2. Cool concept, just the mention of coffee makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I'm not a big fan of coffee, but I love coffee shops and sugary coffee shop drinks (with more sugar than coffee xD). I look forward to reading it!

      Delete
  3. THIS IS AMAZING!! Seriously, great post, Tessa! So inspiring and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Thank you so much, Tessa! :) It can be hard to accept all your imperfections. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed this post so badly. <3 God's timing is incredible. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! An eye opener to everyone. Never really thought of this but actually it make sense.

    ReplyDelete

Yay, you've decided to leave a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from my readers and can't wait to see what you have to say. Be sure to check back for my response, as I do my best to respond to all of your notes! =)

CopyRight © Micaiah Saldaña | Header and Brand Designed By Eric Barr | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan