Remembering Stories

Sunday, March 12, 2017

I’ll never forget March 2015. After turning thirteen, one of the first things I got to do was fly with my dad and members of our community to Uganda to serve with  Sixty Feet, a ministry that works with children in Uganda's child prisons or "remand homes," for a week. One week. That’s all it took to turn my world upside down.
In Uganda, I met a lot of different people with lots of different stories. Stories that coaxed tears from eyes. Stories that made me want to hold those who had those stories close and never let anything hurt them again…
There was Daniel’s story.
He and his little sister went biking one day in the big city of Kampala. Nothing bad was supposed to happen… But then he got lost. He tried to find his way home, but to no avail. Soon, the police found him and took him to a remand home.
Daniel was never reunited with his family before he passed away because of HIV.
Getting my hair braided by some of the girls at a pastor's house. 
There was Annie’s story.
I didn’t know all of her story, but I saw her joy. I saw her radiant smile. I saw her curiosity and what I could call a tendency for mischief blossoming. In the midst of the ugly… She was a spark of joy.
There was Eli’s story.
His Hard Rock Café t-shirt hung loosely on his gaunt frame, but I can recall seeing more than a physical hunger. He had wishes and dreams-one of which included going to America and meeting the famed American President. I got to teach him tic-tac-toe and chat with him for awhile.
A little boy in one of the prisons wearing lots of stickers. =)
I could tell multitudes of these stories. I could tell you about a little boy whose cries moved me to tears and about a young mother on the streets who begged for a single drink of water. I could tell you about a group of little girls who found joy in simply stroking my hair and a two-year old boy who stuck stickers all over his sweet face.
So many stories. So little space.  
Today, those stories still impact me. Because of those stories and that trip, a little boy named Matthias is playing with his trains as I type this. Because of those stories, God has challenged me to see the world through his eyes and not my own. Because of these stories, I have a deeper desire to be the hands and feet of Christ no matter where I am. 
Two members of my team and I taking a picture with kids in one of the prisons. 
I hope these stories will change your life like they did mine and that you will join me in praying for the imprisoned children of Uganda.  
If you’d like to learn more about Sixty Feet and their mission, plus more ways to help, click here. Do you want to help children like Eli, Annie, Carrie, and Daniel? To make a donation, click here. If you have any questions, let me know in the comments, and I'll do my best to answer them. =) 


What are some stories that have impacted you? Have you been on a missions trip before? If so, what did you learn? If you haven't, where is a place you'd like to serve? 

18 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, that is so touching! All of these people's stories are. And it's so true--we are so lucky to have what we do, and we should never think that we aren't when there are others in the world who are less fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really touching. We are very blessed, and sometimes, in our culture, it's hard to remember that. We should never forget the people Sixty Feet serves. Thank you for commenting! =)

      Delete
  2. you are and INCREDIBLY INSPIRING PERSON dear, you dig my heart so deep with your touching stories .i respect you love and care for humanity

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool that you got to go on a missions trip! These are beautiful stories, thank you for sharing how they impacted you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful, Micaiah. I almost feel like my heart is crying when I hear stories like this. It's so touching and incredible that you got to go visit members of the Lord's flock that the world has hurt and forgotten <3

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audrey! I feel that way too. I'm glad God gave me that opportunity. =)

      Delete
  5. This post is really touching. My heart aches for all the people out there in these kind of situations, and I'm sure I don't know a quarter of it. Never forget those stories. Also, that's so great that about your family's adoption story!

    I haven't been on an overseas mission trip, but I did recently go canvassing (as you know), and heard lots of people's stories. Everyone's suffering in some way even if we hide it so well in our society.. It definitely made me realise how blessed I am, and how sometimes all people want is a listening ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! =) My heart aches too.

      Yes! Everyone has a story, sometimes they just need someone to listen. And we really are blessed. =)

      Delete
  6. what a beautiful journey you had...so inspiring and life changing!
    i traveled to a part of the world last summer that opened my eyes to the abundance i enjoy in the states.

    this was wonderful.
    thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I'm glad God gave me the opportunity to go on that trip. Where did you go?

      Thank you-and you're welcome! =)

      Delete
  7. GIRLLLL!!!! This post was amazing, and YOU are amazing!!
    Nope, haven't been on a mission trip yet. *sobs* BUT I realllly wanna go to Indonesia as a missionary when I am old enough!! =)
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ariel! =)
      I hope you can go to Indonesia one day(and maybe I'll go too)! =)

      Delete
  8. *cries*

    This reminds me of my mission trip to Burma a couple years ago :') Especially the picture of the girls playing with your hair... *cries some more* Isn't it just wonderful going on mission trips? I didn't want to leave, I was literally crying all the way home on the plane and in the airport and in the hotel room. It wasn't pretty. I fell so in love with the orphans I went to visit... but idk when I'll be able to go back and visit them:((((( The trip is really hard, so I'm just here praying and hoping. It's so hard!!!

    God bless you girl!

    Jazzy - http://thrivinghope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I feel SO HORRIBLE for answering this a year later! =( I just fixed the comments so that whenever anyone comments, I will be able to answer promptly!

      I love missions trips! I didn't want to leave Uganda, and I hope to go to Mexico one day! I cried when we left too, if I can remember correctly. What can I say, I was super tired? xD Aw, I understand the feeling of falling in love with a group of people, a country even, and then having to go. I hope you can go again to see them!

      God bless you too!

      Delete
  9. So, I didn't find your blog until today, which makes me really late to comment on this, but I was looking through your old posts, found this one, and...pretty much got really excited. Because...Uganda is my heart and my home. My family and I have been missionaries here for seventeen years (actually I was born here fifteen years ago :).) It's a kind of small and not-heard-about-too-much country, so I was super excited to find out you had visited here! What part of Uganda were you in? I'm so glad you were blessed by your time here! Isn't it amazing?? :) And, yes, the children are so precious! I so enjoyed the stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm WAY later to answering your comment, so I sincerely apologize! Oh my goodness, you get to LIVE in Uganda!?!?! *is very jealous* *is even more jealous* I was in Kampala, Jinja, and Sipi. Uganda is the greatest! I wish I could live there and hug sweet kiddos all day and eat pineapple and chapati and get red dirt EVERYWHERE. =) God bless you!

      Delete

Yay, you've decided to leave a comment! I absolutely LOVE hearing from my readers and can't wait to see what you have to say. Be sure to check back for my response, as I do my best to respond to all of your notes! =)

CopyRight © Micaiah Saldaña | Header and Brand Designed By Eric Barr | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan